At last! I’ve been threatening to do this for a while. A big thank you to a friend for putting this together for me.
You know it’s good for you, plenty of iron but…well, it’s knowing what to do with it. This is my effort below and I must say it was delicious. I didn’t have the ingredients to follow the recipe exactly but took elements from each. Bon appetite!
Warm Chicken Liver Salad
200 g chicken livers
50 g plain flour, seasoned with salt and pepper
3 tbsp balsamic vinaigrette,
crusty bread, to serve
1. Cut livers into bite sized pieces and roll in the flour until each piece is coated. Heat the butter in a frying pan until quite hot, then add the livers. Fry on a medium heat for 3 minutes or until brown on the outside but still pink in the middle.
2. Arrange the lettuce on the plates and put the livers on top. Return the same frying pan to the heat and warm the balsamic vinaigrette for a minute, pour over the livers and lettuce. Serve with crusty bread.
Warm Calves Liver Salad (recipe for 4 people, so adjust to suit)
175 g spinach leaves
2 tsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp olive oil
4 shallots, quartered
1 tbsp thyme leaves only
2 rashers back bacon cut into strips
350 g calves’ liver, or chicken liver
24 button mushrooms, quartered
2 tbsp pine nuts/kernels
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
ground black pepper
1. Wash and dry the baby spinach leaves and divide between 4 plates.
2. Heat the butter and olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a low heat. Tip in the shallots and fry until brown. Add the thyme, bacon and liver and increase the heat to medium. Cook the liver for about 5 minutes; it should be brown on all sides, but still pink in the centre.
3. Remove the liver, shallots and bacon from the pan and keep warm. Turn the heat off, add the mushrooms to the same pan, and season with black pepper. Stir well to coat the mushrooms with the meaty juices, divide into 4 portions and spoon over the spinach.
4. Return the pan to the heat and add the pine nuts. Stir and fry until golden. Scatter the nuts over the individual portions of salad.
5. Add the vinegar to the pan, turn off the heat, and stir to scrape up any sediment. Drizzle the warm dressing over each salad and serve straight away.